Sunday 13 February 2011

This morning my dog asked me to go for a walk. I think he knew I needed to blow some cobwebs away. By the look of him I decided to pay Maes Mynan Woods a visit as there is a river running through it and he loves water..much like me. We are kindred spirits. He is a hybrid of springer and labrador and although he is seven he has a childlike puppy look about him. He is a smart dressed guy and wears a full tux always, his night black coat polished by stroking and cuddles with a white cravat and one white toe. For that wonderful full on dog fur smell just add water.


Happy Hound

We set off in the rain and wind and descended down the path climbing over the branches and debris left after the pruning work of wild wind of last weekend. The air was filled with sound and one pair of  happy yellow hammers sang an Ode to Joy that Spring was showing her face. Snowdrops and purple crocuseses are first to check if the coast is clear and the daffs, wild garlic and bluebells are dipping a toe in the watery air.
The edge of Maes Mynan Woods looks out on a red sand quarry. The quarry is quiet today as it's Sunday and a huge lake has taken the place of the sand dumped long ago by  ice that tore it from sandstone from the lake District and Cheshire. The tooting of coots drew my attention to a diving duck that looks like a scaup and these lads usually are sea ducks but take winter minibreaks on freshwater. I used to hate the quarry but changed my mind as it has turned into a buffet for waterfowl.

The river was in spate ( I love that word) and Pip was straight in  and covered in muck, eating rotting branches and jumping around like a mad ejet.  This is where the wild garlic is and even though small shoots are all that I could see, the smell was already strong.

We walked in the river (it's not very deep) upstream and up onto the dam used for an old limeworks and rusting hulks of useful engines litter the place. As the path dissappears under woodfloor we scramble over brambles and branches. I love coming accross a huge set of curvy topped stone gate posts that must have straddled an old road now long gone and the gate with it. I could smell fox. Badger loos and diggings were everywhere. Pip loves rolling in the foul smelling stuff- not this time TG
We eventually slipped and slide down a steep bank back to the river again and came accross a scarlet red heart shaped fungus growing on a rotting log in the river. I must remember to bring my camera with me.

Anyway...gotta go and make tea............................

1 comment:

  1. Fablous walk, one of the best I have done around Caerwys other than those up high on the hills. You had me wandering along with you there.

    ReplyDelete