Monday 14 February 2011

Oban 4-8th Feb 2011

Myself and my friend Liz went to Oban for a weekend. I nearly backed out as on the Thursday night I could not sleep a wink as the SW wind was intent in ripping the roof of my house and I did not think my kayak would stay on the car the following day. However, Liz assured me that there was little wind in Manchester so I left my lovely NDK Pilgrim at home and set off and borrowed her husband's kayak which was a bit big for me but twas grand.

Oban is on the west coast of Scotland inland of Mull. It is a small town but with a big heart as it is the gateway to Mull, Staffa, Iona and many more islands. It is framed by sea and freshwater lochs and hugged by Glencoe, Ben Nevis and a  towering magestic landscape...all iced with snow when we were there.

We stayed in Corran House , an independent hostel in an old Victorian house. (www.corranhouseoban.co.uk)  What a find! -it was £15 a nite with ensuite, huge kitchen with everything in it even food (every spice you could think of) and an honesty mug to add to if you are inclined to honesty. We met some great characters and had some good whisky swopping sessions. Liz and me shared our dinner ( I always cook too much)  with a pair who were stranded in Oban after going all the way out to Coll on a ferry which couldn't dock and came all the way back again.



looking across to mainland from Lismore



On the Saturday we decided to walk instead of paddle as there was still quite a residual swell and after getting the ferry over to Lismore Island (20k long) and had a great walk taking in stunning views.






famous bridge-can't remember name where scotch hid while they swopped trousers for the banned kilt



Liz in a big sky
The next day we kayaked in area of Seil Island and were entertained when we pulled up on a beach by an otter having his lunch. He popped up like a cork bewteen every effort and crunched what he caught on a rock and had a pair of seagulls queing up for leftovers. I was entranced and have the image only in my head as my camera was in my boat hatch.                


castle at Loch Awe
                        
I hate the word 'awesome' but since I have discovered that it is derived from Loch Awe (so i pontificate) then I think it's great. It took us ages to find a good launch site the next day at the lakeside and when we did get out of the car we were 'prechtá leis an fuacht'.....frozen with the cold and opted for taking the high road back over the mountain ( jaw dropping vistas) to Oban

Hamish the hairy hunk....so thats how to keep warm in these here parts

On the way back we took a long cut to see Stalker Castle, Ben Nevis,The Falls of Lora, Glencoe and Rannock Mór...I need to get back to the aaaaawwweeesooomee place as these 4 days were just a taster.




7 comments:

  1. Great blog and amazing photos; welcome to the blogsphere!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning photographs! you make me want to go back to Scotland, been far too long since I was there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mary, I found your blog! :) Looks like you and Liz had a good time "Up Norf". It is awesome ;) Annie and I are hoping to head over to Kerry this Summer. Maybe I can pick your brains at the NWSK SOSM...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll bring my books and maps etc...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mary,

    Welcome to the world of blogging and glad to hear you've discovered Scotland! We were in that neck of the woods in the Autumn and in May/June we'll be on Colonsay, with perhaps another trip in October. Always great kayaking.
    I can't make the SOS meet but hopefully see you on a NWSK trip soon.

    Vince

    ReplyDelete
  6. hiya vince ..give us a shout if you are over this way paddling!

    ReplyDelete