Sunday 10 July 2011

a refreshing run in the rain

I found myself caught out in a downpour at the bottom of Maes Mynan Woods this morning. I had run down to the bottom of the gorge  and was throwing Pippin's ball in the river for him. Before it really got going it had been spitting away and the river that had felt stagnant and dead a few days ago was coming alive and the smell of earth and sweet pine sap and garlic was becoming intense. The air was full of sound with birdsong and tingly rain on leaves.
The water showed no mercy and as I ran up again I could hardly see but it felt so good as all the smells became liquid in the air..passing the meadow full of clover was just delicious. All sound was drowned out by the deafening rain. The path became more liquid too and I slithered along and envied Pippin's in built paw grips. The 'dado rail' path at the top was lethal as it is criss crossed with roots. I have learnt a knack to run down here- use jig like steps-small, fast with pointed toes.
What a way to start the day..aromatherapy and a shower in rain infused with pine sap essence.

2 comments:

  1. You write so evocatively. I was right there with you. I am off to Devon for a week tomorrow. wondering if you and your friend who is buying near here might like to come for a coffee when I come back sometime?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Liz...I'll give u a shout- yes Ali has moved and I'm sure she would like to wander over the hill to see you. x m

    ReplyDelete